- Covers U.S. Census of population data from 1790 to present.
- Easy creation of thematic maps and downloading a folder of them into a powerpoint file.
- Retrieve spreadsheet-compatible data tables using a similar interface to census.gov‘s American Factfinder — only quicker.
- Convenient digital access to two censuses never before available to us online: 1970 and 1980
- Census tract coverage where available starting 1940.
Note that 1980 and earlier geographic coverage is limited to nation, states, and counties (plus census tracts starting 1940). That means no pre-1990 data for cities, “places”, metro areas, etc. Users will most likely still need to consult the printed volumes in the Main Library Reference area (1st floor) for this information.
Below is a map of the distribution of Americans with Haitian ancestry from 2000 census data, generated in Social Explorer. (Yes, even in North Dakota!) Click to enlarge.
For help using Social Explorer or any other GALILEO database, Ask a Librarian!